Intellectual Property Protection and Enforcement
Summers Law Group is a high-technology law firm specializing in intellectual property protection and enforcement. With offices in Washington, DC and associations in San Francisco, California and Tokyo, Japan, Summers Law Group provides a comprehensive range of services in adversarial matters.
Our clients include companies in all stages, from startups to midsize companies to large multinationals. We have experience in many technologies, including biotechnology, chemistry, medical devices, pharmaceuticals, cybersecurity, computers, electronics and semiconductors, software, Internet, telecommunications, and engineering.
Summers Law Group begins each relationship with a clear understanding of the needs and goals within the client’s business and IP departments. Equipped with this understanding, the firm delivers strong strategies for developing IP portfolios, enforcing IP, and resolving disputes. Summers Law Group delivers efficiency at every step and offers flexible billing policies. Our values include:
- High Quality Work Product
- Personalized Attention
- Effective Advocacy
- Dedication to Our Clients
- Enthusiastic Representation
- Creative Solutions
Summers Law Group provides a comprehensive range of services to many industries including biotechnology, chemistry, medical devices, pharmaceuticals, computers, cyber security, electronics and semiconductors, software, Internet, telecommunications, and engineering.
Our IP team assists clients with a wide range of issues, including litigation and transactions. A hallmark of our transactional practice is our experience structuring, negotiating, and drafting strategic collaboration, licensing, co-development, co-promotion, technology transfer and various types of commercial agreements, ranging from highly-complex global alliances to more standard licensing agreements. We work collaboratively with our clients to develop pragmatic, flexible agreements that promote productive and lasting relationships by focusing on the shared business goals of all parties.
Our litigators have clerked for judges and bring seasoned trial depth. We know how to prepare a case for trial, have tried patent cases to verdicts before judges and juries, and regularly handle major patent-related arbitrations. We have successfully litigated cases in most significant patent jurisdictions in the country. We also have a depth of experience before the International Trade Commission (ITC). We have a longstanding, highly successful appellate litigation practice. We also regularly appear before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) in Inter Partes Review (IPR), Covered Business Method (CBM), and Post Grant Review (PGR) proceedings, while efficiently managing simultaneous litigation.
- Patent Litigation in Federal Court and at the International Trade Commission (ITC)
- Hatch-Waxman (ANDA) litigation
- Appellate Advocacy before the Federal Circuit (CAFC)
- AIA Dispute Proceedings at the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) (Inter Partes Review (IPR), Covered Business Method Review (CBM), Post-Grant Review)
- Patent Licensing and Strategic Portfolio Counseling
- Patent Validity and Freedom-to-Operate Opinions
- Patent Enforcement and Cease-and-Desist Letters
- Leveraging IP through Financing Agreements
- Negotiations involving IP Transactions
- Drafting Contracts (Settlement Agreements, Licenses, Non-Disclosure Agreements, Confidentiality Agreements, Non-Compete Agreements)
- Transactional Due Diligence and Opinion Letters
- Non-dispute Licensing
- IP due diligence
Contracts and Transactions
- Misappropriation of Trade Secrets
- Copyright Litigation and Enforcement
Our Food, Drug, and Device Practice encompasses the full range of pharmaceutical, biotechnology, medical device, food and beverage, dietary supplement, and cosmetics issues. We represent pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and medical device clients on matters spanning the product life cycle, from product development and clinical trials, through the FDA premarket review process, to postmarketing compliance, including pharmacovigilance, adverse event reporting, Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) and Quality System requirements, and sales and marketing. We also advise clients on complex issues relating to Hatch-Waxman, biosimilars, and orphan products. We assist clients in all aspects of product development, safety, labeling, and promotion.
- Pharmaceutic, biotechnology, medical device, diagnostics
- product development and clinical trials,
- premarket review,
- post marketing compliance,
- adverse event reporting,
- Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP),
- marketing, labeling and promotion,
- Hatch-Waxman issues